Monday, September 10, 2007

Furnace Update

So, I'm sure you'll recall my experience a couple of weeks ago (has it been that long?) with a local furnace company trying to scam us out of several thousand dollars. I know you've been dying to ask, but have just been too timid to, what the latest news is. Never fear, I'm here to indulge you. :) Here's the latest in a nutshell.
  • (Refresher) We saw an ad for Climatech to come out and give our furnace a check-up for $49. While here, we also wanted a quote on the a/c. Long story short, the technicians "found" crackS in the furnace, gave us a quote to replace the furnace and a/c for $6600 (approximately $4000 of it being for the a/c), and put a lot of pressure on us to have the complete job done next day.
  • Company #2 came out to give us a quote on the a/c ~ $2400 to $2800 depending on which model we chose. Quite a bit less than $4000, huh?
  • Company #3 came out and inspected the furnace with a heavy-duty flashlight and could find no cracks and said the furnace did not need replacing at all. Quote for the a/c ~$3100.
  • Company #4 came out and did a visual inspection, also finding no cracks, and told us that even if there were cracks, the unit was still under warranty! Humph! If he did have to replace the furnace and do the a/c as well, the price would be as low as $3400 for both. Even with an upgraded furnace and a/c the most it would be is $4500. He said, "I don't know what I could do to be able to charge you $6000!"
  • Company #4 returned today and used a dye kit on the furnace to detect the smallest of cracks. You guessed it: None.

This still infuriates me. I'm not sure what our plan is yet on our systems, other than getting the furnace cleaned correctly now (Climatech didn't bother with that, I guess since they figured they'd be replacing it the next day). We may get the a/c or we may wait on it. It's cooling off here and there's really no immediate need for it.

The only thing around here that's still hot is my temper. I get so angry when I see their ads continuously in the newspaper. Well, the least I can do I guess is report them to the BBB. :( Maybe I'll call that hotline in the paper where people sound off. We'll see.

No comments: