Sunday, September 09, 2007

Where's the Beef?

We were so excited to attend church this morning. We have only been once since we left soCal, and we have really missed going. We looked forward to attending a large, non-denominational church near us. We got up, made pancakes and eggs for breakfast, got pretty, and headed out.

If first impressions count for much, we were surely impressed. This church was huge compared to what we're used to. It really had a lot to offer, too - an impressive children's and youth program, nursery care, women's ministries (including a Beth Moore study, an upcoming Women of Faith event, and MOPS), men's ministries, as well as a variety of ministries to meet the needs of the community - post-abortion care, divorce care, and more.

We signed G into the nursery and got our pager in return and found our way over to the kids' building for J's class. His area was really impressive; there was a stage area, an area for video games, an area with a video playing, and more. Then we went off to the lobby for some Starbucks and lemonade. Ro looked at me and smiled and said, "I'm excited." I was, too. I have missed church. I've missed the worship and the teaching (and my church family back home). And I was hungry.

We entered the sanctuary and found some seats and began to worship with several hundred people under the leadership of a wonderful worship band. We enjoyed the music quite a bit. There were announcements, a woman spoke briefly, they showed some multimedia vignettes on the overhead projectors, and the sermon began.

Well...

Hmmm... Here's the example I gave my kids at lunch. We've worked all day, worked through lunch, and we're hungry. We gather into the car and go down to McD's only to find that between us we only have enough for one bag of French fries. We get the fries, and split them between the five of us. What happens? We're all still hungry. (Especially, as J said, if you don't even like French fries!)

Unfortunately, we left that church hungry. We were so disappointed because of all this church has to offer, and yet meat apparently wasn't on the menu. I don't mean to sound harsh or judgmental, but it's a trend we are seeing often in churches today, especially churches that seem to be growing large and "rich"; the term we've come to use is "Christianity Lite," watered-down Christianity punctuated with trite, feel-good sermons that are shallow and unfilling.

It's funny... I was telling Ro that about 10 or 12 years ago, we would have loved this church. In fact, we went to a similar one on a smaller scale. And at that time, I think it was fine for where we were at because we weren't very deep in our faiths, despite having been raised in the church, and we didn't know any better. We hadn't been exposed to real meat. But now, you know... when you're grown up, you need food, real food, not French fries. As we drove home, I couldn't help but remember the old commercial catchphrase, "Where's the beef?"

This probably sounds very harsh, doesn't it? I can't help it; we were disappointed. We look forward to finding a church here that is grounded in the Word - and teaches from it. We look forward to being challenged from the pulpit to live a holy life, rather than sprinkling Dr. Phil-type psychology (and don't get me wrong - I love Dr. Phil - but he does not supercede God's Word) with a few Bible verses. We look forward to having a pastor who is passionate about the Word of God, and who isn't afraid to preach it lest someone gets rubbed the wrong way.

I don't want the gospel preached "glad," as the mother of one mega-church pastor has said; I want it preached authentically. And when you really delve into the Word of God there is much there to be broken about; it ain't all glad! Living a life pleasing to God, I believe the Bible says, starts with recognizing our sin. And refusing to address the sin issue, in an effort to "preach it glad" or to not make waves among your congregation or to not make anyone feel bad about themselves ~ wow. That's a gross disservice to the message of the Cross. Because it's only through that "bad" news that the good news is so amazing to embrace... that God could love me, in all my wretchedness, to have His only Son die for me... wow! If that doesn't make you stop and ponder God's amazing love and goodness, I don't know what will.

A friend of mine just commented the other day that God's purpose for our life is not to be happy, but to be holy. Interestingly enough, true soul satisfaction only comes by laying aside the unholy things in our life and drawing near to God. Everything else, as Solomon says, is meaningless.

I have to admit that I'm a little bit afraid to click the PUBLISH POST button at the bottom of this page. I know I sound preachy, and possibly judgmental and harsh. It isn't my intent to step on anyone's toes, so if I have stepped on yours, I do apologize. I'll step down off my soapbox now. :)

Tidbits:
  • Miss G's molars are coming in. She's pretty good-natured despite the fact that her gums are very swollen. I can't believe they aren't causing her any pain.
  • Ro spent about an hour yesterday installing cabinet locks in the kitchen to prevent lovely Miss G from getting into things. She got up from her nap, went over to the cabinet doors, and promptly opened them anyway.
  • I forgot to mention the other day when I got carded for having a strawberry shortcake (the drink; they don't card you for dessert) for my birthday dinner at TGI Friday's that despite being thrilled she checked my ID, I had quite a reality check. Do you know the year they check for now for people to be 21 is 1986? 1986!!! I was a junior in high school! If I had gotten pregnant that young, my kid would be 21 now! Isn't that a disgusting thought? Now that made me feel old. Heck, if that had happened in high school, I could be a grandparent right now. Ayayay.
  • Speaking of which, Happy Grandparents Day out there to those of you that applies to. :) My own grandparents have been such an influence on who I am today; may God bless you as you influence your grandkids' lives as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

personally,,,,i would send your blog to the church. its words they need to hear.
beth...prayfully consider going back. maybe His plan is for you to carry His word. maybe. pray.
if not...well you will find the home He wants you in one way or another.

Dad said...

Bravo for you honesty regarding that church!

Regarding your thoughts about getting carded: While I agree it was a poor choice to conceive my firstborn at age 17 and during my sophmore year in highschool, it was with God's grace that it was a sucess. I was blessed, and still am, to have the opportunity to share a life with my children, and now my grandchildren, whom are not much younger than me. What a blessing! Love ya lots!! Dad