I've got the proverbial hair up my butt (or bee in my bonnet, as the more refined might say) and I'd like to start a project. The problem is that I'm not particularly talented in this area, so perhaps someone reading this could offer direction and input.
A couple of weeks ago I went into Target and saw a big banner for an ad promoting dorm supplies. In the picture was a desk similar to the one I've pictured here at right. I
think something like this would be perfect for Christianne's room. The trouble is, to buy the desk as pictured (which is actually two file cabinets and a desk top) at Target would be over $450 ~ before tax!So I've spent some time on the internet and haven't been able to find anything comparable, although I did come across a mention of making your own with two file cabinets and a door. Granted it might not be as pretty, but it would be a whole lot cheaper, so I've been thinking about attempting to make my own version of the file cabinet desk.
Anyone out there ever made one?
My questions:
- Is the top secured to the cabinets, and if so, how?
- Any other ideas (better looking, more cost efficient) for the top rather than a door? The top is available through Target for $120, but I'd prefer to spend $100 or less for the whole set-up, if possible.
- Do you think I could use two cheaper metal file cabinets, possibly spray-painting them with gloss to add some more color to her room?
Any other thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
~~~~~
Last night we had Jerry, our realtor, and his wife, Donna, over for dinner. What a great time we had. They have been so good to us, that it was such a pleasure to have them over for food and fellowship. These people are seriously two of the most thoughtful, God-focused, loving, giving people we know - and we've only known them a couple of months. What an impression they've made, huh? Never a negative word, always considering others above themselves, frequently asking us what we need so that they can pray for us. What a blessing they've been to us in such a short time, and what an example for us as well.
The menu? Poppyseed chicken, of course. ;)
My, isn't she growing up? It overwhelms me sometimes.
J is obsessed with wanting a hamster. A hamster!?! He has been asking us daily, and last night he spent a chunk of time on the internet doing "research" for his anticipated pet, who he as already named Hamy. He has added 31 links related to hamsters to my web favorites.
He is, in fact, so serious about this new pet, that he told us that he only wants two things for Christmas. What?!?! J?!? He said he only wants Hamy (although he wants it now) and he wants a Pokemon game for his Game Boy Advance. I have to admit, I'm impressed at his level of commitment, but I can't believe that list won't grow hundredfold by December.
Ah, Christmas... can you believe it's only 102 days away?



No comments:
Post a Comment