Tuesday, August 28, 2007

First Day

First off, I have to change my schedule a little bit. I've been blogging each night before going to bed, but that's getting harder to do. I'm exhausted and the kids are crazy getting ready for school and bed and such, so I've decided to start blogging in the mornings instead. Hope that doesn't inconvenience you faithful readers out there. :)

Yesterday was such a big day for us. First day of school for the kidlets, and first day of work (sort of) for Ro. First day with just me and G in the house with too much to do. :)

We started our morning with visitors in our front yard and watching a flock of geese fly in V-formation overhead. Pretty cool.

I am so glad that we moved when we did. God really blessed us in that. It was important to me to have the kids start school at the beginning of the term, mostly for C. She is starting middle school and everyone in her grade is new this year. In fact, at school yesterday, only the 6th graders attended. That gave them a chance to get acclimated and settled in before all the other kids joined them today. Isn't that great?

Her first day was wonderful. She even mentioned to me yesterday afternoon that she couldn't wait for the second day of school! She likes her teachers and made a friend. She's excited about her schedule and what they'll be learning this year - including dissecting a heart in science! Today in band they get to experiment with different instruments and she'll choose which one she thinks is the best for her. They even have 3 band directors, mind you. Again, I'm thankful for the opportunities we have here!

J also enjoyed his day, but he wasn't as excited as C. He didn't make any friends, he said. I find that so hard to believe, because J is always so outgoing and friendly. He later conceded that he made what he called fi-ends (not fiends) - people you meet and like and you think will be your friend. :) One is even from CA. His other complaint is that they don't have air conditioning. :)

I love the first day of school. The first day of school and the first day of the New Year - I just love that feeling of starting fresh. Even though I'm not in school, it's so fun to help the kids prepare, shop for it, etc. Love it.

It feels pretty good, too, to get back into a semi-normal routine.

Ro had his "first" day in Denver yesterday - an all-day orientation that was boring and long. He has two days of training tomorrow and Thursday in Aurora before he begins in his regular location on Friday. (Plus he has to finish a second day of orientation in Denver next month.) Can you believe he has to have all that stuff after working with this same company the past 14 years? Oh well, they pay him, and they're paying mileage, too.

Today he has to go back to the Denver area to take a pharmacy tech exam.

Miss G has been incredibly fussy the last two days. Yesterday was pretty warm so I though it might be the heat. In fact she has a rash across her check, neck, and face, that I thought was heat rash - but it's cooler today and still there, so I'm not sure. I'm not sure if she doesn't feel good or if she just misses "her kids" or what.

Yesterday we met two more neighbors. The family to our immediate left came by and they are committed Christians who are very involved in the Southern Baptist denomination. Then a woman from around the corner came and brought us a gorgeous homemade cake (yummy, too) that said "Welcome" on it. Wow. We lived at our last house 8 years and only knew two of our neighbors, and only because of circumstance. We've lived here 7 days and have talked to 5 sets of neighbors. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. There are lots of children in the neighborhood, too, and both schools are within walking distance. I think we are going to be very, very happy here.

We got another downpour yesterday. It lasted quite awhile. Often these little rainstorms last less than 10 minutes. I like them; they really help cool everything off. When it let up and G got up from her nap, the kids and I went to the store and got groceries, and I made our first real dinner since we moved in (using our new stove, too!) - Hamburger Helper and green beans. LOL Fancy, eh?

I've got some bug bites all over my arm that are itching me like crazy. Crickets don't bite, do they?

We got the TV set up again. I'm surprised but I haven't watched real TV in nearly a month and I haven't even missed it. I guess I've been too busy to miss it. Still, I do look forward to the fall and all the new shows starting. Now to get the hang of what channels are what and what times work for what. A lot of things seem to be on earlier here - I guess w/the time zone difference.

And that, as they say, is all the news that's fit to print. :)

Prayer Needs:
  • Robert to pass his pharmacy test.
  • We need a second car.
  • Kids to continue to settle in to school and esp for J to make friends.
  • G's rash and irritability.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

crickets do bite. and they eat cloth. however, if you lasso them, you can probably train them to be useful. in the meantime, use goldbond ointment...it will take the itch and the rash away. i love your blogs....prayers are with you : )

Beth said...

Figures - now I have rational reasons behind my fear of those nasty creatures. ;)