I just brought C home from school. She ran into the house yelling, "I'm going to go ride my bike!" I love that she loves riding. She rode it yesterday for a bit before I had to pick up J, and then she got upset, because later, when she had time to ride again, it was raining pretty hard. I never thought I'd hear her upset because she couldn't go do an athletic activity outside. Pretty cool. :)
Do you know what a yurt is? I'd never heard the word before I read an article about them in the local paper a couple of weeks ago. In fact, it struck me when I read it because it's a simple four-letter word, and being a native English speaker and, in fact, having a college degree in English, I'd never heard of the word before. (Now I'll be embarassed if all of you have.) Well, it's not like I have something profound to say about them at the moment. It's just that on Bob the Builder right now they are building one. So preschoolers everywhere will know about yurts. Hmmm...
So I pick Joshua up from school and he is excited as he gets into the car, waving the latest fundraising papers in his hands. (I do, in fact, grimace inwardly as I see them.) He says, "Mom! I need to sell $50 worth so I can get this silver scan radio!" (pause) "Mom? What's a silver scan radio?"
I hate these fundraising endeavors. I would so much rather donate money to the schools directly than buy crap that I won't use so my kids can earn more crap that won't last through the weekend. I know the schools need money, but really, do we really have to do this all the time? I'd rather support the old-fashioned walk-a-thons or read-a-thons or save Box Tops or any other number of things than buy magazines and low-quality gifts from these things. And I hate that they take time from school to have an assembly to get the kids all excited to sell their garbage. It's not just taking the time from school, but also the way they get them all pumped up to go home to their parents, who either suck it up and give in and buy the stuff, or have to break it to their kids that it's just not happening. Ugh. I hate it.
On another note, if your child's teacher sent a note home (generic note to all parents) detailing how certain things will be done in the classroom, specifically, say, underlining misspelled words with a pink highlighter, and you found, say, a misspelling in the note, would you underline it with a pink highlighter and send it back? Not in a spirit of disrespect, of course.
I even included a pink smiley face. :)
Prayer Needs:
- K's ultrasound today.
- My friend C's health involving her liver.
- My aunt G's work / retirement situation.
- Ro may have caught my bug. :( He called from work a bit ago saying he's not feeling so hot.



3 comments:
they actually rent yurts in florence, oregon (at least nearby)for camping. never took aunt sally up on it, but i have heard great things about them.
Well, I spoze that I'll buy some of that worthless crap from Joshua's school fundraiser. I usually pass it on to others as gifts, so you might get even some that I buy to add to your collection. Josh might become an entrepeneur using the sales skills taught by his school. Dad
"dad"
kind of like when you sold...um lets see.....greeting cards, magazines, seeds...bags of seeds!and other crap. yeah you're some salesman LOL
love ya
Post a Comment