One of the sacrifices we did make by coming here was Robert's cushy job schedule. He worked M-F 7:30-4, although he'd usually be home earlier. He was close enough to come home for lunch everyday and he could e-mail me frequently. If the kids had something going on at school, his schedule was flexible enough to allow for him to attend that. They really worked with him to accommodate whatever outside-of-work needs we had.
Now he has a real job, a job where he works a full 8 hours. It's 20 miles away so it's too far to come home for lunch. He can't call me or e-mail me. His schedule rotates, too, so sometimes he'll be home by 6, but sometimes, like last night, not until 7:30 or so. At least it's still M-F. I really can't complain. I have many friends whose husbands work much more than that or have to work weekends. I just got spoiled with his old schedule, that's all.
Plus he's the low guy on the totem pole now. Even asking for a day off in October (so I could go to CA without the kids) was frowned upon. Forget about asking for Christmas Eve off so we could go to CA for the weekend through Christmas. :( It's kind of a shame because his 14 years with this company don't mean much here I guess.
Oh well... the benefits outweigh the... what is the antonym for benefit, anyway? All I can think of is con, and that isn't right. The pros outweigh the cons, I guess. LOL
Both kids continue to enjoy school. C is really loving the whole junior high thing and came home yesterday excited about her first school dance coming up in November. She is learning to type in her computer class. So is J, in his, actually. And she continues to enjoy band. J went to his first GT class - we called it GATE at home - and enjoyed doing the "mental gym" exercises they went through. We are settling into a routine that seems to be working well.
I'm making some changes in my mind as to how I want this place set up. I've decided to move my "scrap studio" (don't you love it?) to the basement where the kitchenette was located with the previous owners here. The loft will be our computer / book area and for now also houses the TV. G is busy watching Wonder Pets as I type. Well, actually, the show is on, but she is busy emptying my box of office supplies onto the floor. She has a particular penchant for paperclips and pens.
But it's slowly coming together I guess. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I can't believe we've been here for two weeks already. Time has sure flown. The timing has been perfect with the kids starting school and Ro work though. It's all good.
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Re: "what is the antonym for benefit, anyway?"
Detriment. :)
Post a Comment